What do I need to bring to closing?

Bring a valid government issued picture ID such as a Driver's License, Passport or Military ID. Additionally, if you are bringing money to the settlement these funds will need to be "certified funds." Certified funds can come in the form of a cashier's check, teller's check, money order or certified personal check.

Who in the process decides which closing/settlement agent or attorney will handle my closing?

It is your choice as an owner refinancing a property or as a purchaser of the property to select the closing agent.

Why do I need Title Insurance?

To protect your most important investment: your home.

Lender's title insurance will be required by the mortgage lender providing funds for your purchase. Owner's title insurance is purchased at settlement for an additional one-time charge which is computed based upon the purchase price of the property. Owner's title insurance protects the homebuyer against hidden defects in title.

Here are a few of the most common hidden risks that can cause loss of title: